Saturday, April 14, 2012

Rocks, Stocks, and a Smoking Barrel Grill

So my wife (The Potato Queen) and I are in the midst of our annual “BIG PROJECT”. This year it involves making a dry creek bed in the back yard. It is also acting as a sort of half assed French Drain, since we have had water problems (flooded basement twice in the past three years, resulting in us losing our insurance – Thanks Evil Erie Insurance Company!). We had to dig a 92 foot long, 2 foot wide, 8 inch deep trench mostly by hand. And then we had to fill that trench with Rocks. I got Rocks. Lots and lots and lots of Rocks! Five and a half TONS of them! Big ones. Little ones. Ones the size of your head. And some smallish boulders too. We’ve been joking about building a miniature Stonehenge in our yard. Or at least a really big stone circle, like they have in Ireland all over the place. Stonehenge is right out, but there will be a stone circle. We have a little one now, but I am trying to find a good spot to build a larger one. Because I am weird, and because I love all things Irish (except Bailey’s Irish Cream – yuck!). I may build one in the park near our house too and see if anyone notices.

And speaking of Ireland….I once met a man in an Irish Pub, who stopped me and my wife and asked “So, is this yer wife then?”. To which I answered yes. He then said “Well don’t fook it up!” One of my favorite stories. I’ve fooked lots of things up, but not my marriage, thank goodness.

And speaking of fooking it up…..I had a grand scheme on how to make piles and piles of money this year. Mostly by playing Apple stock. I expected a run-up to near $500 or so early in the year, and then some profit taking to bring it back down to $475 or so, and then a run-up to $550 by mid-year, and then maybe a drop during the slow summer months to $525, and then a rush up to a price of $600 at year-end. I was going to buy on the dips and sell when it hit my benchmarks. I did NOT expect it would go from $450 or so all the way to $640 without much of a break. I sold a third of my steak around $500, and so lost out on thousands of dollars of profit. I fooked it up. So now I am re-evaluating. It has dropped back to around $610 from the high of nearly $645. I think it hits $700 around Christmas now, but it may be range-bound between $600 and $630 for a few months. But the risk is that it breaks $600. If it goes below that it might even go back down to $575 from some fear selling and profit taking. I think I dip my toes back in and buy a few shares at $605 - $608 and then wait and see how earnings season goes before the usual summer slowdown.

And speaking of summer…..I am so ready for summer! In two weeks I’ll be in Miami. Chillin’ on the beach and drinking mojitos at Larios on South Beach! Also, I love to cook out, as I may have mentioned here a time or two. I own three grills. One gas grill (which I have nearly destroyed – more about that later) one kettle grill, and one barrel smoker. The latter is my favorite. I love to put a couple racks of ribs on there and maybe some sausages and/or a pork shoulder and make enough food for the entire week. Or to feed a bunch of people. Living in Virginia means I can grill/smoke nearly all year round. I used the smoker for the first time last week. Just one rack of ribs for me and the wife. They cooked for about 5 hours and came out fantastic. I would use the smoker all the time if I could. Chicken. Ribs. Sausages. Pork shoulder. Brisket. Ducks. If I can find some good beef ribs I may try them this week.

Which brings me back to rocks, sort of. Because I also need to replace the pavers on which my grills sit. I want to pretty up that area so that it isn’t an eyesore next to the cool dry creek bed. And I’m jealous of all the cool rocks my wife has now. So I am going to pull up the plain concrete pavers that the grills sit upon and replace them with something nicer from the local quarry. The guy at the quarry is going to laugh when he sees us again so soon. We’ve been there 3 or 4 times already to order or pick up the 5.5 tons of rocks for the creek bed. 5th time’s the charm!?!

No comments:

Post a Comment